Wednesday, October 24, 2007

I am so screwed.


Max's energy will not be contained.

He doesn't care that the normal age to start crawling is 7-8 months. This morning he started a side-winding approach, which can't really be described in words, but suffice it to say he ends up a foot or two beside where he started. He goes backwards easily and if I kneel behind him, he pushes off of my legs and goes flying forward (occasionally doing a face-plant in the landing). In the past two days he has started pulling himself up to his hands and knees and rocking back and forth, which is apparently classic pre-crawling behavior. I am so screwed.


Monday he started doing a "baby plank"
(the "up" position in a push-up - the picture above was him rolling over from an early attempt of the plank position), which I am guessing he learned by watching me and the other mommies at post-natal yoga. Apparently being on his hands and knees isn't enough of a challenge. It's really cute, but tires him out... fast. Unfortunately he decided yesterday that resting in mommy's lap isn't fun anymore. He arches his back so he slides out of my lap, to get to the floor and practice crawling again. So no more snuggling when I am tired of crawling with him on the floor. I am so screwed.

When I mentioned that he is starting to crawl to our yoga instructor yesterday, I was expecting that she would excitedly congratulate him on his enthusiasm, but instead she said to me, "Oh no, you poor thing! You were supposed to have 3 more months before having to deal with that."
So, my reaction to Max's crawling this morning was, "I am so screwed."

In an effort to stay one step ahead, I have an appointment for carpet cleaners to come out on Monday and we will re-implement the removal of shoes in the house rule. I have also started to look at our house from his perspective, to see what needs to be secured and moved up to higher ground. Fortunately he doesn't have the fine motor skills to reach and open cabinets yet, so I do have a little more time.

No comments: