Monday, October 01, 2007

Favorite nighttime ritual

Although Max doesn't really notice when things are done differently yet, I am trying to establish a bedtime routine for him. One of the many wonderful books we received during a baby shower has quickly become my favorite for reading to Max. (Unfortunately I don't remember who gave it to Max/us, but THANKS!) It expresses my feelings as a mother perfectly. I don't know if it is against copyright laws to do this, but here is the text...

I Love You Because You're You
by Liza Baker
Illustrated by David McPhail

I love you when you're happy and grinning ear to ear.
I love you when you're sleepy and want to snuggle near.
I love you when you're silly and dancing 'round and 'round.
I love you when you're frightened and hear a scary sound.
I love you when you're bashful and hide behind my knee.
I love you when you're brave and from my arms you flee.
I love you when you're curious and searching here and there.
I love you when you're proud, your head held in the air.
I love you when you're sick and need to rest in bed.
I love you when you're frisky and standing on your head.
I love you when you're sad and need a kiss and hug.
I love you when you're playful and rolling on the rug.
I love you when you're angry and cross your arms and pout.
I love you when you're wild and yell and scream and shout.
I love you any way you feel, no matter what you do.
I love you any way you are.
I love you because you're you.

How's that for a warm fuzzy feeling?


Now, I'm quite curious as to why this book did not receive any awards, but Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! did. I got bored reading it. No real plot to speak of and certainly no warm fuzzies at the end. And it got a Caldecott Honor.

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
words and pictures by Mo Willems

Bus Driver:
Hi! I'm the bus driver. Listen, I've got to leave for a little while, so can you watch things for me until I get back? Thanks. Oh, and remember: Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!

Pigeon:
I thought he'd never leave.
Hey, can I drive the bus?
Please?
I'll be careful.
I tell you what: I'll just steer
My cousin Herb drives a bus almost every day!
True story.
VROOM-VROOM VROOMY VROOM-VROOM
PIGEON AT THE WHEEL!
No?
I never get to do anything!
Hey, I've got an idea. Let's play "Drive the Bus"!
I'll go first!
C'mon? Just once around the block!
I'll be your best friend! How 'bout I give you five bucks? What's the big deal!? It's just a bus!!! No fair! I bet your mom would let me. I have dreams, you know! Fine.
LET ME DRIVE THE BUS!!!

Bus Driver:
I'm back! You didn't let the pigeon drive the bus, did you?

Great! Thanks a lot.

Pigeon:
Uh-oh!


Bus Driver:
Bye!


Pigeon:
Hey... (dreams about driving a big rig truck)



Lissa: Yawn...

2 comments:

hutchbec said...

I love you when you waddle and wiggle through your rear.
I love you when you giggle and roll over and back again.
But I just can't accept that you fell in love
with a pigeon whose only ambition is to drive a bus.
That's not what we paid your tuition at Purdue to do, young man.

Anonymous said...

Hey, we like the pigeon book.

Wait till you have a pre-schooler that keeps telling the pigeon "no!", and you'll probably find it more interesting, and very cute.

:)