Monday, February 04, 2008

The Stairmaster

Yesterday I mentioned to Alex that I thought we were safe as far as not having to worry too much about Max being outside the gate in the living room. So far he seemed to only be interested in going to the right, to see the Roomba.

What a difference a day makes.

I noticed this afternoon that he looked to the left and started to move toward the bottom stair. I swooped him up and distracted him with some random toy near by, not ready to encourage his climbing the stairs. After Alex got home tonight we decided to see what Max would do when allowed to explore the staircase with adult supervision. Here is a picture of his first stairway experience...

He just took off. Now I know what skill he has been trying to work on in his sleep, when he's flailing around and whacking/kicking me in the face.

He hesitated a bit at the middle landing, trying to reach around the corner to get to the next step. Once he figured out how to climb on the landing and then turn the corner, he was 2nd-floor-bound!


As usual, my reaction to this accomplishment was, "oh, crap" and Alex's reaction was, "oh, cool!" We will redouble our efforts to make sure the gates remain closed.

Strangely his journey ended in the bathroom, perhaps he wanted to take a bath, using his new bath seat...

No comments: