Sunday, May 16, 2010

Mother's Day Do-Over

Mother's Day didn't go exactly as planned last week (wet weather, Alex did not feel well and Max was in what can only be described as a horrible mood all day), so we decided to do a "do over" this weekend. It went MUCH better :)

It started with Alex taking care of Nick for his 4 AM feeding, while I stayed in the comfy bed. Max decided to start the day a little less than 2 hours later, and I decided to take pity on Alex and let him sleep in a while longer. A few hours later we got moving and tried to enjoy the River before it got too hot and humid.

I had the brilliant idea of parking near a particular part of the Town Lake/Lady Bird Lake Hike and Bike Trail, but since I always park in another part of the trail, didn't think about how the process of getting to the trail from the road was going to be tricky - especially with a stroller. We set out following the direction of the road, Max gleefully running ahead in the grass. It was a little while before we pointed out the train tracks to Max. I think I heard his heart stop as he realized a train might come by (don't think he realized it was a train for kiddos his size and not the regular sized trains we have visited before here and here).

Phew! We made it! Max and Alex ran in bursts, with Alex reminding Max many times to stay to the right side of the trail. Nick and I were following behind, and a few times I apologized to runners who found themselves directly in Max's path. I explained that he has not quite learned running etiquette yet, and they understood. Hey, we all have to learn somehow.

Nick was fine at first. But he grew tired of chewing on Zebra and being confined, so he began vehemently demanding liberation from the stroller. Then he expressed much desire to fall asleep and simultaneously his dismay at an inability to fall asleep. We got many looks from other trail users - some knowing looks, some more annoyed at the distraction. I put him in the Baby Bjorn and he eventually succumbed to the soothing swaying and calming voice from mommy.

In case you were wondering, that's "Mommy Bird" on the left and "Daddy Bird" on the right. Thank goodness Max was there to let us know!

It was a wonderful morning with my boys and I feel so lucky to be their Mommy!

No comments: