The short story of Max's labor and birth is... my water broke at 5 on Friday afternoon and fortunately my contractions began the next morning, a few hours before they were going to start me on Pitocin. According to my OB, it was a "hard" labor, but we made it through without significant intervention. It was by far the hardest thing I have ever done in my entire life, but totally worth it.
Max is doing well, but he developed a fairly bad case of jaundice and is still in the hospital. I was officially discharged tonight, but they are letting Alex and me stay in the same room until Max is ready to go home, hopefully tomorrow morning. It's incredibly hard to not be able to hold and snuggle with the little guy, but he needs to be on light therapy for a few more hours to make sure the jaundice is over. After that I plan on spending many hours indulging in snuggle time with that little guy (he's a bit of a mama's boy already).
Alex has been absolutely wonderful. Throughout the birth he was in my face or ear, encouraging me and giving me strength when I doubted that I could do it. Since then he has been very active in Max's feedings (as much as he can) and in making sure that I am taking it easy when possible. I've been a little emotional about not being able to do anything about the jaundice and Alex's support and love has made a world of difference today.
Our parents have jumped into their new roles as grandparents with grace. Alex's parents flew in on Sunday to meet their first grandchild and my parents were present to meet Max as soon as he was ready to receive visitors. Both grandparents have fetched food for us, run errands and made sure that I got my daily fix of Starbucks lattes. My mom even baked the special cake I had planned to bring for Max's "0" birthday, but was unable to do myself because of the unexpected onset of labor.
I feel truly blessed to have such great parents, in-laws, a wonderful husband and beautiful son!
Monday, June 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment