Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Cashew is 6 pounds right now

We had an appointment with Dr. Schmitz today and she took multiple measurements via ultrasound. After gathering info, she said that Cashew appears to be 6 pounds right now and he's likely to be around 8 pounds on his due date - which still stands to be June 24th.

According to her exam, I'm on the way to getting ready for labor. She said that I'm 1/2 cm dilated and 60% effaced. That's really barely a drop in the bucket, so there's no reason to believe he's coming any time sooner than June 24th. But, it is nice to know that my body is not stalling on this part and hopefully won't wait too far after the big date.

She also said my blood pressure was higher than it has been averaging through the rest of my pregnancy (it's been relatively low until now). I suspect it has to do with my break from exercising since I fell last week, but that isn't a clear cause. Again, she's not saying it is a real problem now, but along with the increased swelling in my feet and hands, she told me to look out for a few signs and that if my blood pressure should get to a certain level (140/90), then we'll want to induce labor early. She doesn't jump into inducing lightly, so I trust that if she says it's necessary, then it is. But hopefully that won't be necessary!

I'd rather let nature take its course, so I'm going to start going to a nearby
pool to do laps, and see if that will help to bring my blood pressure down (Dr. Schmitz prefers swimming to my going to the gym). Being on maternity sabbatical now might help too, at least from just not having as many things on my schedule each week.

No comments: