Monday, January 15, 2007

Contemplating my navel

Well, I read an article that described more detail about what a fetus would feel like, and now I am pretty sure I did not feel the baby last weekend as I thought. It turns out that first I will likely feel it from the inside and then we will be able to feel it from the surface. I *think* I felt some fluttering earlier this evening, but will wait until I feel it a few more times to be sure of it.

But there have been other unmistakable signs of our little cashew. My belly. It is changing. A lot. For instance, last Sunday night I went to bed with one shape and woke up with one that was quite different the next morning. My mildly morphing midrift has another interesting feature: a bellybutton that is becoming decidedly more shallow. I knew temporarily loosing my inny would be a part of the process, but I never realized it would start happening this early! Then again, I am 17 weeks along now, so it isn't really that early :)

Alex and I will get to hear the cashew's heartbeat again at my next checkup on Thursday (1/18) and have an appointment for the "Anatomy Check" on February 9th. During this appointment the baby's gender should be determined (depending on how cooperative he or she is that day). We'll ask the technician to keep it concealed during the appointment and instead write "boy" or "girl" on a piece of paper for us to find out later. We'll go somewhere together for our own special and personal reveal - as long as it isn't too obvious during the ultrasound.

No comments: