Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Nicholas in NICU Update #23

With Max in preschool, it's inevitable that he will bring home germs.
At the beginning of last week I dropped him off at school and couldn't
help but look at the runny noses on his friends' faces with fear.
Sure enough, Max's nose started running at the end of the week.

I've been trying to avoid his germs, but that is near impossible with
a snuggly toddler who misses his mama and wants to reconnect when
she's at home. So I'm at home, resting and resisting the urge to
prepare for Nicholas' homecoming - which appears to be getting very
close!

Yesterday Nick was increased to a new feeding schedule,
nipple-nipple-gavage. This means he gets 6 of his 8 feeds by mouth
each day!

I called his nurse this morning, to let her know that I would be
keeping my germs at home until I felt better. I then asked the
million dollar question... given how well he's done on this new
schedule already, did she have any thoughts on when he might move to
every feed by mouth, and thus when he might come home? She said that
her guess would be an increase in feed by tomorrow - maybe later today
- and, then asked if I was ready for him to come home this weekend :)

There are many steps between now and his being discharged, and hers
was just a guess, but we are getting really excited!!! Now I just
need to kick this cold, so I can be ready to do everything required to
bring him home.

Hopefully before Christmas!

No comments: