After having been on the phone with his pediatrician's office, Max became very insistent that he wanted my phone. I had both my cell phone and home phone in my hands, but decided he could do more damage to the cell phone so I gave him the home phone. He's played with it countless times, and yes there was that time on July 4th that he called 911, but the thousand other times he has had possession of the phone resulted in no harm.
"I only turned away for a second", and heard a woman's voice coming from Max's direction. I grabbed the phone from him and apologized profusely, explaining that my son had been playing with the phone and must have hit redial. After she said okay, and we hung up, I wondered if he had just hit redial. So I hit redial to see what number would come up.
9-1-1
I hit "end" as fast as I could, so the call wouldn't go through, and then started kicking myself for having left him with the phone unsupervised like that. Ironically I was getting us ready to go to a parenting seminar at his preschool for Problem Behaviors and I mused to myself that this is one problem behavior we will have to address.
A few minutes later the officer arrived. I apologized profusely again and explained what happened with Max calling by accident. He said that they got that call, but they had to check it out because there had been two calls. Gulp. I explained how I had hit redial to see who he had called but that I had hit "end" as fast as I could. That's when I learned that calls to 911 go through immediately. Well, it's good to know that for future reference, I guess (although I hope I never need to call it).
I told the officer that I never wanted to be the mother who's son called 911... and he was nice enough about it. Well, definitely no more playing with phones for Max!
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment